I can’t begin to express how essential it is for you to be smart with protecting yourself in the sun. Spring is now approaching, but it is essential to protect our skin all year round as UVA is present all year round, in the same strength. It is present in our lights and isn’t blocked out by windows. It also penetrates our skin much deeper than UVB. UVA are our ageing rays, and cause premature ageing of the skin as well as pigmentation and other conditions.
An SPF in a sun cream measures the protection only against UVB. You need to make sure that your sunscreen offers Broad Spectrum protection, which will protect the skin from both UVA and UVB. The factor that you need for UVB protection is very misleading, with a sun factor of 50 only offering 4% more protection than a SPF of 15. And you get more chemicals on the skin when it comes to the higher factor.
So for these reasons protection against UV rays are required all year round. However in the summer months extra protection is definitely required. So follow these simple tips to ensure that you thoroughly protect yourself when the sun is stronger and whilst on holiday. A tan is a scar!
- Wear a sunscreen all year round and one that contains Zinc Oxide or Titanium Dioxide as these offer the best UVA protection. This can be in the form of a cream or are often found in make-up (mineral being the best)
- Reapply the sun screen as frequently as possible (at least every 2 hours) to exposed areas of the body – don’t forget your hands as they tend to age quite rapidly!
- Wear a hat as much as possible. One with a broad rim is far more beneficial as this will provide more cover.
- Wear sunglasses to protect the eyes. This will help prevent the skin from thinning round the eye area
- Don’t sunbathe in direct sunlight and try and keep to the shade!
Pigmentation problems arise from UV damage to the skin and we can help to treat these conditions with vitamins and anti-oxidants.
The process of ageing starts from within, so feeding the skin the right nutrients from the inside is just as important as what you can apply topically. Skin Defender from the Advanced Nutrition Programme is an antioxidant complex formulated with vitamins E and C, along with selenium and zinc which are all antioxidants, helping to protect your cells from oxidative stress. It shouldn’t replace a sunscreen, but provides nutritional support for skin exposed to light. Best when combined with Skin Vitality 1, Skin Vitality 2 or Pro-Vitality.
Topically applied vitamins in the form of Environ Skincare and Environ RAD cream for sun protection can not only protect the skin from sun damage, but can reverse it too. Applied daily it really can reduce your risk of skin cancer to very minimal levels.
Don’t forget, a tan is a scar!